Marriage Index, 1743-1882
By Rosa Raiman
Introduction and Instructions
On the following pages you will find a list marriages from the village of Soufflenheim,
Alsace, for the years 1743 through 1882. The list contains just over 2,000 marriage
This index is the work of Rosa Raiman, who spent many months compiling it from
LDS FHL Microfilm records, completing the work in December, 2004. We believe
this is a comprehensive list of every marriage available on microfilm during
that period. The data was converted into web pages by Brian J. Smith, who is
also the author of this introduction.
If you find names here that are of interest you, we recommend that you look
up the original microfilm record at any Family History Center. You will find
additional information not contained in this index. No doubt you may also discover
some errors, for which we apologize. The source documents were handwritten and
often difficult to read, so no doubt some errors crept in during transcription.
A few notes:
- The data is arranged alphabetically by the surname of the individual individual
- Almost every record appears twice: under the surname of the husband, and
also under the surname of the wife. For a record where the husband and wife
share the same surname, or where the wife's surname is unknown, the record
appears only once.
- The microfilm records for Soufflenheim are incomplete. Some pages are missing,
and many are difficult to read, especially prior to about 1810. This resulted
in gaps in this index. The years 1754 through 1787 are missing altogether,
because they are not available on FHL microfilm.
- During the years 1794 through 1805, France used a different calendar, the
"French Republican Calendar." This index uses the prefix "FR:"
to indicate dates from that calendar, which are written in year-month-day
format. For example, the date "FR:11-Prai-16" is the 16th day of
the month of Prairial in the year 11. In the traditional calendar, that was
the 5th of June, 1803.
- For more about the French Republican Calendar, refer to this web page: http://smithancestry.com/sources/lang/frenchrepcal.htm.
- The following LDS FHL microfilms are the source of the data in this index:
- Church records: Registres paroissiaux, 1743-1793 Eglise catholique.
St-Michel (Soufflenheim, Bas-Rhin)
- FHL INTL Film 740080: Baptêmes 1748-1792 -- mariages 1743-1754,
1783-1792 -- sépultures 1783-1793.
- Civil Records: Soufflenheim (Bas-Rhin), Registres de l'état civil,
- FHL INTL Film 740028: Mariages, publications de mariage 1793-1832
- FHL INTL Film 740029: Mariages, publications de mariage 1833-1871
- FHL INTL Film 1767376 Item 8: Mariages (un autre copie) 1870-1872
- FHL INTL Film 1165394: Publications de mariage 1870-1872
- FHL INTL Film 1733867: Mariages 1873-1882
- For more about the Family History Library and its microfilm system, please
refer to their website: www.familysearch.org.
- In the tables that follow, the "Source" column identifies which
microfilm records are the source:
- Sources "1A" and "1B" indicates the marriage records
of the Catholic Church of Saint Michael in Soufflenheim, FHL microfilm
- 1A -- 1743-1754
- 1B -- 1788-1791
- Sources "1C" and 2 through 7 indicate the civil records of
- 1C -- 1793-1812
- 2 -- 1813-1828
- 3 -- 1829-1837
- 4 -- 1838-1847
- 5 -- 1848-1857
- 6 -- 1858-1870
- 7 -- 1871-1882
- In the tables that follow, the "Page/Rec. #" information (under
the source) refers to the page number and/or record number within each year.
In some cases the pages wre numbered in the original records. In other cases
the records are numbered, usually starting over with # 1 at the beginning
of each new year. You might find this information helpful to locate the original
record on microfilm.
- For a sample of an actual marriage record and its translation, take a look
at the "Marriage
Record of Joseph Voegele and Catherine Miller - February 1, 1821."
For questions and comments about this index, you are welcome to contact Rosa
Raiman or Brian J. Smith. If you have information to add or a correction to
make, we would be glad to receive it.
The e-mail address for Brian J. Smith is
The e-mail address for Rosa Raiman is
- On this website:
- On other websites: